Things are about to get real emotional, real fast.
I didn’t tell Chris that I was writing or posting this, so you will be reading this right along with him for the first time.
This love letter is the first of your incoming Father’s Day gifts.
You are the best thing that’s ever happened to me. You’ve been my best friend, love of my life and the most loving and caring daddy that Kai & Rowan could have hoped for. I can’t even begin to describe how much you mean to me, so I’m going to make this simple, sweet & to the point with a list.
1. You are SO caring. I can say with complete certainly that you’re the most unselfish person I’ve ever met. You always put the boys and I first. You leave work early if I’ve had a particularly hard day with the babies so you can help out & give me a break. You get out of bed at 3 am when Rowan decides it’s time to wake his brother up by screaming bloody murder & calm him down by rocking him back to sleep without one complaint or “it’s your turn Bethany”. You consistently offer to watch the boys at night when you get home from a long day at work just so I can get out of the apartment and have some time by myself to breathe. You put down everything you’re doing when Kai asks you to “Build a block castle with me Daddy?”. You constantly offer to go to the post office to ship my returns so I don’t have to walk the 10 blocks to the post office. You put our needs, no matter how big or small before your own without a second thought or hesitation.
2. You never go a day without either telling me how much you love me, that you think I’m beautiful or how lucky you are to have the boys & I in your life. You make me feel incredibly loved each and every day and it’s Kai, Rowan & I who are the lucky ones.
3. You were the most AMAZING baby daddy while I was pregnant with both boys. I can’t count all the massages you would give me when my rib cage was aching with pain. You drove me everywhere I needed to go when it hurt to walk long distances during my last month of pregnancy. You helped me in and out of the car every time. You brought home my favorite snacks before I even knew I wanted them. You binge watched Ru Paul’s Drag Race when I all I could do was lay on the couch at the end of the day during that long and tiring 9th month. You took on so much more housework than you should have, deep cleaning everything because you didn’t want me to bend over or smell the harsh cleaning chemicals. You cooked my favorite meals. You made sure I had every kind of vitamins possible. You took me to all my doctor appointments. You loved those two boys the moment you found out I was pregnant and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner to take care of us during both pregnancies.
4. You have the best sense of humor. You make me laugh ALL the time. You make me laugh so much that I get pains in my tummy. You’re hilarious and instantly put me in a good mood when I need it most. My favorite nights are the ones where we just sit on the couch together, catching up and making jokes until 2 am in the morning.
5. You are the BEST father I could have ever dreamed of. It’s insane how much you love our boys and when I see the undying love they have for you in return it makes me want to cry. The way they look at you is beautiful. They look up to you so much already and I’m eternally grateful that they have someone like you to aspire to be. I can’t wait to see them grow up and be molded by such an incredible man. If they turn out to be anything like you, I will be forever happy that the world will have two more kind & inspiring gentlemen.
6. You’re an amazing listener.
7. You are the calm to my crazy. You don’t give in when I try to start a fight over something silly.
8. You make me want to be a better person. You are patient, kind, giving and endlessly loving. I want to be more like you, and I’m so grateful to have such an inspiring person as my best friend and partner for life. You’re the kind of person that people just want to be around.
9. You’re so, SO smart. I learn something new from you every-day. You can also be a jerk and pick on me for my upstate slang. I don’t especially like this… BUT you’ve made me notice and correct a handful of things I’ve said wrong and saved me from some epic humiliation.
10. You’re the kind of person who is so dedicated and determined that you could do anything you wanted. I could see you take on so many different professions and succeed wildly.
11. You take care of us in every way possible without asking for a single thing in return. I know that we will always be taken care of. You would never settle for “making ends meet”. You want to give the boys and I the best life you can provide and you’re the hardest worker I’ve ever met. You want the boys to grow up with good morals and values to make them into the best men they can be. You want to give the world two men that you are proud to say “I raised them”. I’m already proud by the way you are raising them, and I continue to be grateful for all that you give them.
12. You’re incredibly handsome. You are beautiful inside and out, but #12 is about the out. I’ve never met a more gorgeous man. You still give me butterflies just by looking at me. On the mornings when I wake up before you, I sometimes just look at your face (creepy…) and think “DAMN! That face is perfection and I am SO lucky to have married this beautiful man.” Is that a little creepy? Maybe. But it’s also very, very true.
13. I see your face in Kai and Rowan’s and it makes me love them even more. You three are the most precious things in my life and to see your face in theirs and vice versa is a feeling I can’t describe. When I look at them, all I see is love. You and I love each-other so much that we made these two perfect little humans. They are a product of pure love and that’s exactly what we give them in return, all the love they could ever wish for.
14. I love making babies with you. Take that however you want because I mean it in every way. (But we both know, being the deviant that you are that you’ll take this literally).
15. You don’t want the spotlight. You’ve never had a facebook, myspace or Instagram account. You don’t take selfies. You don’t like taking photos with me but you still do when I ask because you’re a wonderful person. I think it’s incredibly attractive that you’re not the type of guy to need to be on social media. I post more than enough on Instagram for the both of us, right? Haha
16. You are SO supportive. You encourage me in every way possible. You’re my biggest supporter and my greatest ally. I couldn’t have accomplished half of what I’ve done this past year if it hadn’t been for your support and help. Help doesn’t even begin to describe what you’ve done for me. You listen to every little work detail I bring up, no matter how silly the topic and you give incredibly helpful feedback.
17. You’re an amazing son. You treat your mother with such love and respect. Your parents raised you so well and it shows with the man you’ve become today. You’re a true gentleman in every aspect of the word & they are lucky to have you as a son. I can only hope that as Kai and Rowan grow up they will treat me like you treat your mother.
This can go on forever, but I’ve already cried several times writing this and I can only take so many emotions in one sitting.
I love you Chris.
I will always love you so deeply.
I fall more in love with you each year that we’re together and I can’t wait to grow old with you and travel the world.
I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you and becoming even closer than we are right now. You mean the world to me, and I want you to remember that every single day, during every silly little fight we might have, during the hard times and the good. You will always be my soul-mate. The one person that was made for me and I’m forever grateful for the day that brought me to you.
This post was written as part of the #TogetherWeMother series – honest stories about the beautiful chaos that is motherhood.
Be sure to check out the creative women in the #TogetherWeMother Series by visiting their blogs below: