Back in September, I was having a particularly difficult time coming up with blog topics that I was genuinely interested in writing about, which led to me opening a blank word document & writing every little topic idea that randomly went through my head. That brought me to my new series called Random Thoughts, which was actually really fun (& super easy) to write, & you guys ended up loving it! (Thank you! Thank you!) Sometimes it’s so therapeutic to get the crazy jumbled randomness that builds up in your head and out onto paper… or electronic paper which is what I like to call Microsoft word.
* I wanted to give Rowan the middle name of Hugo, after Hugo Stiglitz from Inglorious Basterds, but Chris gave the big no to that. In the end, we both loved Rowan Alexander, so that’s the little story behind his middle name & what could have been. haha.
* My guilty pleasure Pandora station is Sarah McLachlan where I indulge in the sweet serenading by Sarah, Enya, Fiona Apple, Sade & Jewel. When Chris comes home from work & hears it, he likes to make fun of me asking if he walked into the Lilith Fair & if this is the “right apartment”.
*It’s starting to drive me craaaazy when I get a message or comment after I post a photo like the one above with me and one of the boys asking “Why isn’t the other in this photo?”. If I post a photo with just Rowan, “Where’s Kai?”, If I post with just Kai “Where’s Rowan?”. Row Boat has not been a fan of taking photos lately, and I will never force my boys to be in a photo when they don’t want to, so there’s my short answer. Rowan is the squirmiest of all squirmy wormys right now & will not sit still for more than 2 seconds at any given time. And any mom with more than one child knows how difficult it can be to get photos with multiple (and more importantly – willing participate) children. *Disclaimer – It looks like 90% of these types of messages come from younger girls (13-18) who haven’t had children yet. So while this is a little of a rant, it’s also a PSA – Moms don’t have favorites. Kai also went through a phase a few months ago where he wanted absolutely nothing to do with having a photo taken and I backed away. Hence a few months without recent photos of the munchkin. I actually received a message the other day saying “It looks like Kai is in your stories today more than Rowan is. Do you love Kai more or something?” I shook my head, rolled my eyes and declined the message. Enough said. Rant over.
* I finished the latest season of Outlander this week and I’m both incredibly happy to have watched it, and sad that it’s over & that I have to wait another year to find out what’s going to happen with Jamie and Claire. I kind of wish I could erase it from my memory so I could watch it all over again for the first time. Downton Abbey with have to suffice for now, BUT, I’m already on the last season of Downton. Any other recommendations? I’m a historical romance drama lover to the end.
* Speaking of Outlander… I wrote in my stories that Chris reminds me of Jamie, but with a toned-down personality, meaning he isn’t as eccentric as Jamie can sometimes be and is more of an introvert. Well I completely missed the mark on explaining this to Chris because when I said a toned-down version of Jamie he goes “Oh… so like Jamie, but just less attractive. Got it”. Didn’t mean that at ALL because they look NOTHING alike and Chris is my ultimate “type”. We still laugh about this and I joke “Yeah Chris just toned down” and pretend to turn an invisible volume controller. Yet, Chris still thinks I have a thing for Jamie. Not true Chris…. Not true babe.
* Rowan & Kai have been extra lovey dovey lately and I’m LOVING it. I’ve been getting unsolicited hugs and kisses from them both, and lots of “I love you”s from Kai. I never want this stage to end. Hopefully they won’t become “too cool” for mama for a very long time to come.
* Which brings me to… besides being super affectionate with them, I also like to keep them on their toes (Kai in particular because he’s older and “gets” more) and messing with them. The other day in target, I hid and scared Kai with a squeaking “hei hei” rooster doll from Moana & got him good. He couldn’t stop laughing saying “Naughty mommy. You scare me!” Or I’ll tell Kai that my name is Rowan, & he will put my glasses on and say “ok then I’m mommy”. We’re sort of best friends forever.
* I’m really excited for Christmas, but entirely focused on the boys. I don’t think I’ve bought a single present for anyone else yet. I kind of don’t want to give or receive anything, except to give presents to the boys. Any other mommy’s feel this way?
* I’m so happy it’s winter here in NYC. There is nothing better than snuggling up inside with a bunch of romantic candles, and not feeling bad about not leaving the apartment for days. I’m a hermit.
* We haven’t put our tree up yet and it’s killing me. There’s just no room this year in our apartment. It’s still in storage and I’m planning on getting it up by tomorrow leaving us with only one week to enjoy it before Christmas. So, heads up – I’ll probably be keeping it up for a good part of January because of this. Let me live my life “Christmas Tree in January” haters!
* The boys have been obsessed with watching the LEGO Batman Movie & both Chris and I are really, REALLY happy with this development because it’s a movie that doesn’t make us want to pull our hair out after watching it for the 100th time. I actually think it’s incredibly funny, made-for-adults humor and we quote the movie all the time now. Oh yeah, we’re super cool, not nerdy at ALL.
* A new season of Vanderpump Rules is upon us, and I’m (a little) embarrassed to say, that I shall be watching. I can’t quit you Stassi.
* On a more serious note – we are planning on buying a home somewhere in New Jersey within 30 minutes from NYC. I’ve got a serious itch for a backyard for the boys, & more space in general. If you’ve ever lived in an NYC apartment you will understand why space is SO hard to come by. We live in a two bedroom/1-bathroom apartment, & the boy’s playroom and my office are both just part of the living room. Mama needs her SPACE.
* I’m going to start writing more sarcastic pieces for my Blog. It’s what I truly enjoy writing about. I love turning the everyday struggles of motherhood/living in the city with two boys and turning into humor. If we can’t laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?
* We are going to my family’s house in Upstate NY for Christmas and I’m really excited for the boys to spend time with my family. We only get to see them 2-3 times a year, so it’s always a big treat for them to enjoy some quality time with the boys and vice versa. My grandparents still live in the home I grew up in and it’s completely surreal to bring the boys there because it hasn’t changed a bit. I love that so much.
* If you’re looking for a new scary movie to watch – The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Don’t read anything about it, just watch. It sort-of… kind-of… SERIOUSLY FRIGGEN TERRIFIED ME. I’m a scaredy cat who enjoys torturing herself by watching creepy movies and then hating myself for it when I’m running from the bathroom to the bedroom at full speed at night because I imagine something is there in the dark.